Thursday, July 10, 2008

My gripe with Graco


Lugging an infant car seat around has given me a new perspective on life. Specifically, what a pain in the ass it must be to have an arm in a cast, use crutches or a wheelchair, or be physically unable to open a door by yourself in general. When you don't have to haul your 11-pound kid around in a contraption that weighs nearly as much, you don't appreciate the convenience of doors that open automatically and you probably don't see the value in holding the door for another person. Well, I have been enlightened, and I have the Graco Travel System in "Kasbah" to thank.

Luckily, I was already an empathetic and polite person to begin with, so maybe I didn't need the lesson in gratitude that my lovely "travel system" has taught me. But for anyone who is oblivious to the sight of a mom trying to maneuver the fold down stoller while attempting to click the car seat into the base while holding packages and trying to close the trunk of the car while her kid sleeps- I have news for you. Go look for another frickin' parking spot because I'm going to be awhile and you are only going to further aggravate both of us, so get over yourself.

When people see me coming with my gigantic brown-and-cream stroller that looks like a booth from a 1980's-era McDonald's, I'm not sure if their faces are reflecting pity or annoyance. Older women are willing to give me a knowing look and hold the door for me, as well as other young moms, whereas most people seem content to watch bemusedly as I push a door open using my butt and carefully pull this frickin' spaceship of a stroller through with one hand. I'm not asking for royal treatment, people; I'm asking for a different stroller. This thing is ruining my back, and I need my back, because when I'm not lugging Hattie in a car seat, I'm lugging her in my arms.

So the other day as I was attempting to fold up the stroller and hoist it into my car, I dropped the damn thing on my foot. &^&&^@$! Because it's freaking heavy, if I haven't mentioned that previously. And as I cursed my lovely "travel system," I remembered speaking to a legally blind woman the other day at my eye doctor's place. This woman was BLIND and yet she could see me coming with the hugamongous car seat. "You girls are lucky today. We didn't have anything like that when my kids were younger, and I had nine kids." NINE kids?! Could you imagine what she would look like if she had to carry her children around in safety-approved kid carriers? Not to mention that she wouldn't be able to transport them unless she had a horse and buggy or maybe a school bus. My response to her comment that I was "lucky?" "I wouldn't be so sure about that."

Another customer piped in. "The only carrier we had for my son back in those days was a laundry basket." A laundry basket- now that I can handle. Not only is it lightweight, it doesn't cost upwards of $200 like my "travel system." But his point was well taken, along with Blind Lady's too- it's about the safety. They think I'm lucky because my kid is safer than theirs. And I guess that is the point of this crap we're all forced to buy these days. It's safe. But I can't say I wouldn't trade my car seat for a lighter one, if it exists. OK, rant over.

2 comments:

Chuck said...

In Ecuador, the women wrap the baby on their back using a blanket. Of course, they don't drive cars to the mall.

Jen Reed said...

I like the idea of a baby carrier (like a sling, Snugli, or wrap). Unfortunately, our laws require children to be contained in a safety-approved seat, and it's convenient to just grab the seat and go. I think my problem is with impolite people and the fact that a law is dictating how I have to transport my child. Believe me- with gas prices the way they are, I'd love to strap her to my back and hop on my scooter! (OK, I'm only partly serious there.) :)