Monday, September 29, 2008

Paperback Goldmine



So Hattie and I ventured to the children's books section at Barnes & Noble today. I was growing more discontented with every shelf we passed. I saw far too many books written by celebrities or politicians. Jenna Bush and the other one "wrote" a book; there was another one called "John McCain: My Dad" or some crap like that. Finally I decided to just ask the lady to help me. Here is the exchange. Nana Kay will find this particularly amusing.


Hattie's Mom: " Excuse me, can you help me find the Stephen Cosgrove books?"

Book Lady: "Are you looking for 'Serendipity?'"

HM (disapointed): "Is that the only one you have?"

BL (matter-of-factly): "I keep trying to get more copies, but they sell out immediately and I can hardly get them to send me more."

HM: "Oh, I thought I could just walk in and buy them."

BL (incredulously): "Are you kidding? All of his books- even Serendipity- are extremely hard to find!"

HM (coming to realization): "Oh gee, I guess I'm lucky. I have the entire collection in paperback."

BL (also coming to a realization): "You don't know how lucky you are!!!"



Thank you Nana Kay!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nana is happy to learn that you have strock gold...considering it is $900 per ounce right now.
Hang on to these originals, Hattie, and PLEASE come, let us read them together..."else wherefore born"...a grandma? (Who can tell me about the paraphrase?)

Jen Reed said...

Tennyson? The goose with the golden egg...?

Jen Reed said...

I found it! It was driving me nuts:

"Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King -
Else, wherefore born?"
\"Alfred, Lord Tennyson\" (1809 - 1892) English poet
"Idylls of the King, `Gareth and Lynette', 117"